Friday, September 18, 2009

The outwales are the toughest part yet!

 Mahogany is expensive!   I broke both outwales.   One was a mistake with my sander....BANG/SNAP.  The other was trying to bend it onto the end of the canoe without steaming it.  Dang.  So, I had to create two more.  One is now on except for the steam bending and the other is drying (scarf joint epoxy).   I hope the scarf dries by tomorrow morning.  If so I will do the preliminary sanding then put it on the boat.

Once both are on, I will do the soak and steam bend technique.  Not looking forward to that!   If I pop these two I may have to go with a softer wood.   The ash I put on my other boat bent easier than this!

So, another waiting game.  The good thing is, once the outwales are on all that is left is installing the seats, handles, thwarts and stem-band.  All that has pre-drilled holes and are setting ready to go at a moments notice.  That part will not take but about an hour.  Its these outwales which are holding up progress!

No comments: