Monday, September 7, 2009

First coat of paint!!!!! (Sept 7)

First coat of paint has been applied!  Look...its RED!  The red paint did very well over the grey primer.  This morning I had to put bedding compound under the keel then screw it on from underneath the canoe.  I hated to drill holes through perfectly good canvas!  I will wait until Wednesday night to sand the first coat with 220 then I will put on a second coat.  My plan is to sand it with 220 again on Friday night.  Between now and then I will rabbet the two outwales in order for the outwales to fit over the hull planks with a small groove that will place the outwales at the same heigt as the inwales.  Currently the rales are made from two 11 foot pieces of mahogany with a scarf joint.  They will be attached probably next Sunday to see if I need to steam bend the ends...I hope NOT.  I hope they will bend into position.
The problem with paint...it shows every bump, nail head, canvas bias, etc.  Paint is very telling of the job underneath.  Sort of like our life huh?  Our words, smile, facial expression all tells what is going on the inside of us.  Paint hides minor imperfections but it is really a veneer.  I believe the canoe looks pretty good for my first go around restoring a wood canvas boat!

No comments: