Friday, July 4, 2008

New Stems Installed (7-4-08)



The new stem in the mold after bending. I left it there about 3 days. Here is a picture of it installed. I had to do a small scarf/end joint with epoxy to join the new ash stem to the not-rotten portion of the existing stem. I will allow the epoxy to cure for about a week so it will harden properly before I do any sanding. I nailed the stem planking to the new stem as well today. Now we wait for it to cure good and hard.
I received my order from Northwoods Canoe Co. in Maine yesterday. In it was canvas, northern white cedar planks, ribs and assorted other goodies. Once the stems are good and joined I will flip the canoe and replank the broken holes with new wood. Next I will probably strip the old varnish and then coat the inside with linseed oil.

No comments: